Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I Love Old Trucks...

Thriftmaster
16" x 20"
Colored Pencil
 
I love old trucks. I love trucks with history. I love trucks with battle scars and stories to tell such as the one depicted in my colored pencil drawing Thriftmaster. While driving through Tennessee, on one of the trips I take with some artists buddies, we came upon and old junk yard with some interesting rusty vehicles. In seeing this old Chevy pickup with all of its beautiful colors I just had to render it in something other than charcoal. Colored pencil is the perfect fit for me. I can retain control and add a tremendous amount of texture and detail. I started with a piece of Daler-Rowney Murano Textured 98 lbs. fine art paper. Instead of a white surface I have decided to use a dark gray paper to begin my drawing. This allowed a mid-value that helped in establishing the darks and lights. I used Prismacolor colored pencils. They are wonderful pencils to work with. I like the amount of pigment that I am able to layer on top of the previous color.

No comments:

Post a Comment